WhatPulse Forums
Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) - Printable Version

+- WhatPulse Forums (http://whatpulse.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Beta client (/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+---- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+---- Thread: Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) (/showthread.php?tid=1916)

Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) - FamilienVater - 11-15-2012 01:48 PM

Hi all,

I've encountered a strange behaviour:

I've upgraded some of my Windows PCs (most of them are at least dual-boot Wink ) to b6 and with all of them, the following happened:

I switched off "per application" and "per country" stats
I clicked on save
the program instantly froze (no excess CPU usage however)
after killing it with the task manager and restarting it, the whatpulse.exe shows as a task but no task bar icon and no program window appears.
even after a reboot, the process/task appears, but nothing else. even after hours of waiting...

-----

another thing I've noticed: before the freeze issue, whatpulse would need a significant time to start. I've set it to load the main window on start. It's 5 minutes or even more...

maybe this is related...

Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) - smitmartijn - 11-15-2012 06:06 PM

Have a look in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\WhatPulse - is there a whatpulse.db-wal file and how big is it?

If it is pretty large, that will be the cause - we're looking into that now.

Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) - FamilienVater - 11-16-2012 12:50 AM

Hmmm.. it's actually located in:

I:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\Whatpulse\

and has only 55MB. I've used WinXP for at least 6 hours today... and the Program did not start...

On the same Machine, using Vista, the file has 2GB size and WP needs "only" about 5 minutes to start and works...

Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) - sibberio - 11-16-2012 09:27 AM

My file is 2GB.
Any news about the next beta?
Any roadmap?
Just to know Smile

Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) - FamilienVater - 11-22-2012 01:59 AM

Still having the same problem with b7, tested on WinXP64 this time...

First I installed over the old beta and tried to start it -> only the process shows.
Then I killed the process and removed all the files in I:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Local Settings\Application Data\WhatPulse\
WP did start this time and prompted me with my credentials etc. but after changing settings and hitting "save", the program froze and I had to kill it again. Restarting it keeps it in the process list but nothing happens...

Do you need additional information? should I investigate further in some direction?

[edit]

Aaaah, I just tried the settings individually, got the error and tested again and had it again (so it's reproducible):

1.) Unsetting "Uptime \ Per application"
2.) save (works)
3.) Unsetting "Network \ Per application"
4.) save (works)
5.) unsetting "Network \ Per country"
6.) save (freeze)

Even if you go straight ahead for "per country" it freezes afterwards. -- My current workaround: keeping it enabled Wink

Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) - smitmartijn - 11-24-2012 03:07 PM

I was going to ask to try a build with something disabled. You can ignore my PM now that I've seen your edit though. I've been able to reproduce the freeze now, so I can fix it. Thanks!